We are delighted to announce the release of GNU Mes 0.17, representing 64 commits over 6 weeks.
Mes is now an official GNU package and we have bootstrapped gcc-4.7.4 for x86-linux with a reduced binary seed (i.e., without regular toolchain).
- upstream the x86 Mes bootstrap to GuixSD
- create a x86_64 Mes C Lib, see if that is is enough to bootstrap x86_64
- reduce the 1MB ASCII M1 seed to ~5000 LOC/~100KB of M2 source
- create a plan for Geesh and Gash and use them to reduce the bootstrap binary dependencies
- and/or otherwise reduce the bootstrap binary dependencies
Packages are available from Guix's wip-bootstrap branch.
The Scheme interpreter (mes.c) has a Garbage Collector, a library of loadable Scheme modules-- notably Dominique Boucher's LALR, Pre-R6RS portable syntax-case with R7RS ellipsis, Matt Wette's Nyacc --and test suite just barely enough to support a simple REPL and simple C-compiler: MesCC.
Mes+MesCC can compile an only lightly patched bootstrappable TinyCC that is self-hosting. Using this tcc and the Mes C library we now have a reduced-binary-seed bootstrap for the gnutools triplet: glibc-2.2.5, binutils-2.20.1, gcc-4.7.4.
Mes is inspired by The Maxwell Equations of Software: LISP-1.5 -- John McCarthy page 13, GNU Guix's source/binary packaging transparency and Jeremiah Orians's stage0 ~500 byte self-hosting hex assembler.
git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/mes.git
Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
Here are the MD5 and SHA1 checksums:
93ca82612e203fd667dfbdfb83c06549 mes-0.17.tar.gz d38ec93ab6dc2c92a5c5e96fef7f9295972772c2 mes-0.17.tar.gz
[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the .sig suffix) is intact. First, be sure to download both the .sig file and the corresponding tarball. Then, run a command like this:
gpg --verify mes-0.17.tar.gz.sig
If that command fails because you don't have the required public key, then run this command to import it:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 1A858392E331EAFDB8C27FFBF3C1A0D9C1D65273
and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.
Mes runs from the source tree and can also be built, packaged and installed in Guix[SD] from a git checkout by running
guix package -f .guix.scm
Get informed, get involved
Join #bootstrappable on irc.freenode.net.
Changes in 0.17 since 0.16.1
- GNU Mes is now an official GNU package.
- MesCC is now installed as a regular Guile package.
- Support --srcdir build.
- Support all standard GNU make targets.
- Mes C Lib now bootstraps glibc-2.2.5, binutils-2.20.1, gcc-4.7.4.
Changes in 0.16.1 since 0.16
- Mes now builds out of the box on Debian buster/testing.
- Mes now comes with a generic build recipe: build-aux/setup-mes.sh.
- Mes now comes with INFO documentation.
MesCC now exits if spawning BLOOD_ELF, M1, or HEX2 fails.